Thursday, March 5, 2009

Rounding Third And Headed For Home

It is 7:40 PM and I just got back to the BeeHive home and went in to see Pops. I just had my first baseball practice with Noah and so the title sounded appropriate. KA, Zane, Noah, Tatum, Adele and EE are here hanging out with him. He is in tough shape and responds only when aroused or when he is repositioned in bed. In fact, any passive movement makes him cringe and have a pained look on his face. He did not get out of bed today and again had a very few bites of oatmeal and coughed when an attempt was made to give him water. I cleaned his mouth out this morning with a warm washcloth and the CNA from Hospice Alliance- the hospice agency- gave him a bed bath. He is not moving his extremities and stays in a state of semi conciousness unless really aroused.

Came by earlier today and sat and talked with him and rubbed his head. Our big joke is that my Mom wants his hair parted to the side and I always rub it straight back....slick baby. Actually, it looks a lot like his Dad George wore his hair in pictures I have seen. When I was talking to him I told him "Pops, i'm sorry you have to go through this." He actually responded and said "we go through what we go through- and we all go through something."

Adele said something rather profound to KerryAnn while here before at the Celebration of Life party. She said "Maybe he is still here now for us, and not him". It made me think that I know I have a greater appreciation for my family and all the little blessings that are taken for granted, a larger empathy for family members of patients that I work with, and what they are going through. I also have more compassion for patients when they complain of pain- not a lot more, but some. Your not allowed to have a lot of compassion for patients that you deal with in rehab in regards to pain. The motto at Coral Desert in NO WHINERS!(That is a joke). Will update accordingly...

No comments: