Thursday, March 19, 2009

One Week Tomorrow





PICS: Lone Star and EE in their heyday is the 3rd photo, Mom and Pops at their 50th wedding anniversary at Cooper Mountain Ranch (Bill and Cindy's) in west Texas, Pine Valley in Utah with the kids. I realize the two photos are crappy- I took them with my phone from a wall picture..real high tech.


There has been a lot of activity in the past week. Monday, Mom and I went by Metcalf Mortuary and made final arrangements for Pops. I lied previously when I said it was no big deal- that he was already gone and only a shell remained. We made arrangements and then they made him "presentable" to EE and myself. We went in and Mom was ready to leave within about ten seconds saying "I don't want to see him like this." I, on the other hand, was like a little boy and did not want to leave. I stroked his hair and talked to him. He looked so calm and small- almost like a doll. I especially did not like looking back at him as the door closed to the room. I even opened it one more time, in the knowing that this was the last time I would ever see his physical presence here on Earth.

Adele came in late Tuesday, and also on this day, Mom went with KA and the kids up to Pine Valley mountain. She has wanted to go ever since she first visited years ago. Snow prevented a full trip to the top but they had a great day. Note the pic with her. They had a good day and it was good for her to get out. I found the obituary of Lone Star on line in both the Independence, MO paper and also the one in Arlington, MA. Somewhat surreal.

Adele and Mom got pedicures on Wednesday and Mom got her hair done. Adele definitely helps keep Mom preoccupied and also had made her feel better by going to the storage area and getting some of the boxes that we tucked in there 16 months ago along with other items that would not fit in the downsize that happened twice while Mom and Pops were here.

Today Adele picked up the remains and the death certificates to start the changing of names on important documents as well as notification to Medicare, SSI, etc. I took the Boy Scout troop to BrianHead ski resort to do some snow tubing. It's great- since I can't do it because of the immobilizer boot. It was okay. I just need to watch myself because I find myself extra irritated over little things as of late. Part of the process I guess. Every kid loves a grumpy Scoutmaster! I could drone on about the seven stages of grief... but I won't. Plan is now to move Mom next week. Her and Adele are leaving next Wednesday and my buddy Brandon and I are following on Thursday with the big U Haul- 20 hours through the Rockies and into the midwest. My legs are stiff just thinking about it.

No comments: