Friday, March 13, 2009

Snuck By The Night Watchman

KA and I spent the night with Pops last night and he had a really peaceful night overall. His oxygen sats got as low as 33% but he showed no signs of distress. Twice he arched his back and took in a deep breath and I thought that his passing might be close at hand. Yet again, he found his rhythm and he got back to his normal breathing pattern- which was oxygen stats at roughly 50% and a pulse of 100 beats per minute.

Right after 8 AM Ethan showed up and we were talking about the night and how Pops was doing. We had talked about metabolic acidosis and how long a body can survive with oxygen saturations at 50% and did figure today would probably be the day. I told him I better go let my Mom know how he was doing and since Ethan was there now would be a good time. I walked across the breezway to her place and gave her the update. I then stated that I wanted to go back and be there while Ethan was there to see the plan. As I went out her door he came out of the BeeHive home and said "he just passed". Just like Lone Star, leave him for two minutes and he goes on- onward and upward.

Ethan said in all his years he has never seen anything like it. He just didn't take another breath- no struggle, no short gasps, and only one successful nerve response which is when the brain stem tries to restart the body. He said it was unique.

They just took him to the mortuary after Jim Hetrick, and Jerry and Jan Jamriska came by from their church and offered a group prayer. There are many thanks in the whole journey of Lone Star's ordeal and battle. I cannot write them all in because I know I will forget some. Special thanks to the folks at the BeeHive home for their loving care, at my work, Coral Desert, for allowing it to be an outlet for my parents and a place to socialize as well. Thanks to Hospice Alliance and all that they have done to ease the transition and alleviate pain. Thank you as well to Community of Christ church for being there for them, even though they could rarely attend. There are lots of friends and family to thank as well. We do appreciate and treasure all that came to the Celebration of Life. It was a joyous experience for all. Thanks to those that stopped by and checked on them- Cathy A, Chuck and Drema, Cindy and George, church folks- this meant a lot especially since they were out of their element and did not have a lot of social outlets because of Pops condition and also because they were so far removed from their home base of Missouri. There are others and i'm sorry if your not mentioned- but your not unappreciated.

I will update on a basis of information that has transpired in the coming days. Pops is to be cremated and his ashes put into six separate containers. EE is going to bury hers in Morehead, Iowa at the old Danish cemetery where they have gravesites. Her grandfather donated the land and hand built the churh amd pews- a true Johnson cemetery. The other 5 containers will go to the 5 children. I will update on where these have been spread. I know i'm gonna take him up mountains and also on a marathon. You don't want to be behind me as I get near the finish line or you just might get a bit of him if you inhale too deeply. I also want to make sure he gets in the Medina river by Bandera, Texas. If a sibling can't do this- then I will. I'll say it again. I loved my Dad.

No comments: